Friday, November 23, 2018

Svenska böcker... :)

Hello!

Good morning everybody! Today we will talk about Swedish books <3

I moved to Sweden 2001 in January. I lived there until December 2012. In the capitol of Sweden: Stockholm. Well, the first year I lived in the suburbs. Then, in April/May 2002 I moved to Kungsholmen, in the center of Stockholm. My closest bookstore was 2,5 blocks away, what a luxury! It is called Akademibokhandeln. It is awesome! My two favorite bookstores in Sweden are NK Bokhandel and Akademibokhandeln on Mäster Samuelsgatan, both in the very heart of Stocholm, near Sergels torg... I studied English and Finnish at the University of Stockholm on/off for 11 years. The University became my second home in Sweden. Too bad I didn't study Literature too... That is, in Sweden if you study literature, it is of course Swedish literature. LOL. Instead I studied English and Finnish... Well, I love those languages of course a lot too. Swedish just happens to be my first native tongue lol. Sooo... I never got to dig deep into Swedish literature, except in Finnish when we read a few Finland-Swedish authors. I read "Den amerikanska flickan" by Monica Fagerholm and "Drakarna över Helsingfors", they were of course written in a bit different Swedish... And it all happened in Finland. In the Helsinki are too... It is no big mystery but I really do not like the Swedish they speak in Helsinki... I don't like Helsinki that much, just a little. IF I would write a book, it would take place here in Tampere and in Stockholm and in Jakobstad <3 Like my life has taken place lol... That I why I'm re.considering writing a book about my life... BUT!!!! Those things are completely off point sorry!!!

SWEDISH LITERATURE!!!

Back to the point. When I moved to Sweden, I was not so into Swedish literature. Not so much into literature, period. Which is strange, since I started studying English and later on Finnish, which studies required a lot of reading... lol... My old English teacher once said: "Yeah, you can study English but you gotta love reading!" I was like: "Of course! I do love reading!" Now in hindsight I realize what he meant lol. When you study any language, READING IN FUNDAMENTAL. lol Sooo, not just a little, a LOT! Really really really much! I am kinda sad that I wasn't such a huge reader before my time in Sweden... But now I have mended my ways... lol

Swedish literature that I like are mostly in three categories:

Swedish crime/horror
Swedish children's literature
Swedish "religious, old fiction"

Let me explain... My favorite authors from Sweden are all crime, children's and religious fiction writers. I would say that my most favorite books from Sweden are "Låt den rätte komma in" by John Ajvide Lindqvist, "Tordyveln flyger i skymmningen" by Maria Gripe and one I'm still woring on: "Utvarndrarna" by Wilhelm Moberg. Okay, so I just realized I have read mostly crime novels from Sweden... It was years since I read "Tordyveln..." and I have been stuck on page 100-something in "Utvandrarna" for ages. I have seen the musical "Kristina från Duvemåla" and listened to the music a million times, that is based on the novels about the Swedish immigrants going to the Americas, so I know the story well and the musical is pretty true to the books... It's four parts. Thick books. Well, I just also realized that I need to widen my horizons... I need to read other books in Sweidsh, other than Crime, horror, Childern's books and Religious epic fiction stories. One other Religious book is "Jerusalem". It is still on my TBR... :)

So, if you are a Swede or know a lot about good Swedish books, let me know what I should read :)

No comments:

Post a Comment